Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, September 27, 2013

RC POWERS MIG 29 V3 BUILD DAY 2

I managed to get considerable work done on my Mig29 yesterday.  It is all assembled except the electronics bay hatch is not yet secured, will do that today before sanding.  I got the whole plane glued together, motor mount and control horns are now installed, Kf airfoils are on and bevelling of all leading edges has been completed.

I decided after some bench testing of different motors at different ESC settings to go with the Focal Price 2700 Kv motor on this plane.  I was blown away by the thrust numbers I got on low setting on my ESC and will save 22 grams/0.78 oz of weight by using the lighter motor.  Here are the numbers I got from this motor on a 6x3 EMP prop -

Here are the numbers I got at 50% throttle for each of the timing settings -
  • ESC at low timing - 15.27A/184W/538 gr/19 oz of thrust;
  • ESC at medium timing - 12.7A/153W/478 gr/16.86 oz of thrust; and
  • ESC at high timing - 15.46A/179.4W/470 gr/16.58 oz of thrust.
Here are the numbers I got for 100% throttle setting for each of the timing settings -
  • ESC at low timing - 30.5A/327W/1014 gr/35.77 oz;
  • ESC at medium timing - 33.4A/368W/1028 gr/36.26 oz; and
  • ESC at high timing - 34.05A/365W/1030 gr/36.33 oz.
Since I am planning on doing a heavier paint scheme on this plane than my last one, I am trying to save weight wherever I can, this will be the inspiration for my paint scheme



Based on what I saw from the weight gain on the F22 paint job, I estimate this paint job will add about 20 gr/0.7 oz.  I won't paint the bottom to save a bit of weight and to help give more distinct contrast.  I'm also not going to bother with the gray nose and tips on the vertical stabilizers.  I'm hoping it will look very cool when it is done!

I'm also going to experiment with using 5gram nylon gear servos on my ailerons.  I am thinking that as long as my elevons have good 9gr servos, that will be my last point of failure where I will still be able to control the plane, so if the 5 gr servos on the ailerons/rudders go, I still can fly and control the plane to recover it.

I'm hoping to get the sanding completed today and the servos and control rods sorted out and perhaps start on the paint job today.

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment