Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, September 13, 2013

RC POWERS F18 V3 AND TURNIGY D2826/6 2200 KV MOTOR

Just finished up another round of testing on my F18 with yet another motor and combination of props.

This time I tested a motor which I have already used on several planes, the Turnigy D2826/6 2200 Kv motor from Hobby King http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=12919

Although I have used this motor before, during this period of testing I tried a couple different things

  • I had read some research that Grey from the RC Powers forums did on the RC Timer 2826/6 motor and he mentioned it seemed to like medium timing on the ESC better than the default timing of low. I never paid much attention to this before when I used this motor, I think I have used high and low, but never medium;
  • I had only ever used a 6x4 APC prop on this motor, so I wanted to see what if any difference in performance I would get out of trying the 6x3 and 6x4 EMP props.
Since Hobby King recommends a 40A ESC for this motor, I used a Turnigy Plush 40A ESC. Because of the bigger ESC and the fact that this motor is a few grams heavier than the FP 2700 Kv motor and the RCT 2212/6 motor, my AUW with the 1600 battery went up about 9 gr from yesterday's testing, so my weight today was 529 gr/18.66 oz.

The numbers off the wattmeter for each of the props -

  • 6x4 APC - 24A/274W
  • 6x3 EMP - 23A/275W
  • 6x4 EMP - 26A/301W
The plane flew great in all configurations, I will wait until I watch the video before determining which one I feel was the fastest and/or my favorite, it was hard to tell. The performance difference between the 6x4 APC and 6x3 EMP was negligible, a tiny advantage in initial acceleration possibly to the 6x3, but other than that almost identical. The 6x4 EMP felt a little bit "snappier", I know that is not exactly an exact term when trying to evaluate something, but it just felt that way when flying it.

Again, I don't think the D2826/6 as fast as the FP 2700 Kv motor, very similar to the RCTimer motor in a lot of ways, but I do feel that the 2826/6 performed better (slightly more power and speed) with the 6x4 APC prop than did the RCT 2212/6. The 2826/6 ran pretty cool in all configurations, cooler than the RC Timer motor, but I think I may need to reevaluate a different 2212 motor as I think there might be a bearing not working right in the one I tested.


The plane cruised easily at 50% throttle on all three props, the slight increase in weight had no impact on the aerobatic performance of the plane. 


Seeing the amp readings I got, I may try this setup again with a 30A ESC for a bit of a weight saving as long as it doesn't push the 30A ESC too hard.


This is another great option as a motor for this plane at this weight, the more I fly it at this weight, I think this is right around the "sweet spot" from a standpoint of handling for this plane, it turns on a dime, has no bad habits that I have been able to find, I can push this plane very hard and it responds with ease.


Endurance wise with this motor I would say about 5:30 minute flight times is a good number for all three props on a 1600 battery for my flying style which does involve lots of bursts of wide open throttle.


I have another video uploading now which should be posted later today. I will be taking a break for a few days as I will be away with family commitments, but have at least one other motor, the Power Up Zoom 450 that I want to test.


I have been learning a lot about different motors I have never tried before and different options for props and how they compare from a standpoint of performance, endurance, amp draw, etc, so I hope that some of this has been useful to others as well. Certainly has been a great excuse to get out and fly this beautiful plane more often, it will be tough to fly something else after getting so comfortable with the F18!


Update - here is video I shot of today's testing




Cheers,


Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment