Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, September 13, 2013

F18 WITH RC TIMER 2212-6 2200 Kv MOTOR

Hi everyone -

Just finished up another round of testing with my F18 with another motor and different prop combos. Today I was testing the RC Timer 2212-6 2200 Kv motor http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=116&productname=

I was running a Turnigy Plush 30A ESC and 1600 Mah 3S 30-40C discharge batteries. I had never used this motor before today, but did some reading on a great thread that Grey from the RC Powers Forums started comparing the 2212-6 and 2826/6 motors, so I had a bit of an idea of what to expect. Grey's thread is herehttp://www.rcpowers.com/community/threads/2212-6-vs-2826-6-motors.9860/ 

I read a review on the RC timer website of a person bench testing the motor on 6x4 APC and 6x3 EMP props and they got more thrust on the EMP, so I decided to test three different props today to see what they would give me.

Here are the wattmeter numbers I got with each of the three props using a freshly charged battery each time -

  • 6x4 APC - 23A/260W
  • 6x3 EMP - 21A/278W
  • 6x4 EMP - 25A/300W
My AUW with the 1600 Mah battery was 520gr/18.34 oz, a negligible difference from the weight testing the Focal Price 2700 Kv, so I won't bore you with the wing loading numbers, etc.

With the 6x4 APC and 6x3 EMP props, top speed and power seemed to be pretty much equal, at least that is how it looked to my eyes and by the feel of the plane. The 6x3 EMP spooled up a bit faster, so slightly better punch and acceleration, but only just for that first little jump, then it was pretty much equal to the 6x4 APC.


From a standpoint of efficiency, I personally think I would get longer flights with the 6x3 EMP prop, easily in the neighborhood of 6:15 minute flights, with the APC more like 5:45. I was able to fly slowly and do very decent high alpha with both props, cruising was around 50% and they both provided enough thrust to allow me to fly slowly under control with about 40% throttle. Vertical performance was about the same as was aerobatics with the power provided by both props. So the slight edge in efficiency and endurance in my tests would go to the 6x3 EMP prop.


The 6x4 EMP prop definitely had a little more snap and speed than the APC and the 6x3 EMP, but also pushed the system harder, the motor and ESC were definitely warmer with the 6x4 EMP, but due to the fact I was getting more speed and punch, I was probably pushing it a bit harder as well. 




My initial thoughts at the field were that I preferred the 6x4 EMP prop setup over the other two props.  But the more I watched the video above and thought about it, I think that the 6x3 EMP prop setup is best for all round speed, power and acceleration and the fact that it runs cooler and more efficiently than the 6x4 EMP.

So where does this motor fit in with the other two I have already tested, the MJV3 and the Focal Price 2700? I would say somewhere in the middle with respect to speed and power, definitely gave me more of a cushion of power than the MJV3 and since I didn't have to run around at 60% throttle like I did with the MJV3, the endurance with the 6x3 EMP prop was about the same.


It is not as fast as the FP 2700 for sure, but it can also easily run a wider range of props on a 3S than the FP motor, so that could be an advantage depending on what type of performance you like or what props you have available to you. It ran more efficiently than the FP 2700 motor with all three props, so a bit of an advantage there. 


With my plane at this weight I prefer this motor over the MJV3, I just like having that extra little cushion of speed and power. I think I still like the FP 2700 motor the best of the three, but I do give this RC Timer motor a strong recommendation as a very versatile (because of it's ability to handle these three different 6" props) and efficient motor and for the price $9.87 and the cheap, expeditious shipping that RC Timer offers, it is a great motor for parkjets in this weight range.
One thing I did note on this motor, maybe it is just this one I was using, but it was a bit noisy compared to other motors, I'm not sure if I have a bad bearing, but sometimes on the slow passes, I could hear something going on with the motor that I don't normally experience with others, but for the price, tough to go wrong!
I am hoping to get one more motor tested tomorrow, the popular Turnigy D2826/6 2200 Kv motorhttp://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=12919 which I use with great success on my Mig 29 V1 and other parkjets in this weight range of 18-20 oz.


 I have never tested it on any EMP props, so I think I will give those a go and see what happens. I plan on swapping out my ESC for a 40A ESC as that is what I normally run this motor on as it is rated at 34A and I have great success with that size ESC. I will based on what I learned from Grey's testing change my ESC timing to medium for the test, I think I had been previously running these motors no low setting, so perhaps I wasn't getting max power and efficiency out of it.
Then I am sure you will be happy to hear that I will be taking a few days break for some family commitments... :)


Actually after the D2826/6 motor, I really only want to try out the Zoom 450 after that, maybe the SMJV2, but definitely the Zoom 450.


I took a little break to install the D2826/6 motor in the plane now and put the 40A ESC in the plane as well with the timing set at "middle" (medium).  Interesting to note, I shortened up the battery connector wires from the ESC, I had them pretty long for a previous project, I also cut off the ferrite ring from the receiver lead of the ESC and saved myself 11gr/0.4 oz!  Wouldn't think it would make that much difference, but I'm glad I did now!

My AUW with the new motor and ESC is now 529gr/18.66 oz, so still very good, that will give me a wing loading of 5.65 oz/sq ft.  

Cheers,


Scott




No comments:

Post a Comment