Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

RC POWERS MIG 29 V3 BUILD DAY 1

Made considerable progress on my 2nd Mig 29 V3, this one will have all controls activated and a lighter power setup than my Speed Mig.  I will be trying to build as light as possible.

Today I finished cutting out all the foam, it weighs 134 gr/4.7 oz without the Kf4 airfoils.  I already expanded the back of the prop slot and cut some cooling vents in the side of the fuselage to increase airflow through the electronics compartment.

I'm thinking I will go with the Power Up Zoom 450 motor with a 6x4 APC prop and 2200 battery, but I will try a 30A ESC instead of 40A to see if I can't save a little more weight.  Now that the weather is getting cooler and with the large vents, I'm hoping cooling won't be too much of a problem, in testing on my F18 I was pulling 28.5 watts and the Turnigy Plush 30A ESC is capable of handling bursts of 40A.

I installed all the carbon reinforcements in the wing (4mm carbon rod), elevons and back deck plate (3mm carbon tube) which added 20 grams/0.71 oz, but it is very worthwhile weight in my opinion.

All control surfaces are bevelled and glued, I will also be reinforcing the elevons hinges with tape as the Foam Tac does not last too long, but it helps the two pieces be nice and snug together when I apply the tape.

Tomorrow I hope to get pretty much the rest of the build complete, control horns installed, wing and fuse attached, back plate attached, etc and nose formed.  Should be a fairly quick build.  Paint job might take a little bit of time, but I think it will be worth it.

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment