Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, September 28, 2013

RC POWERS MIG 29 V3 BUILD COMPLETE

Hi everyone -

Just finished my second Mig 29 V3 build, this time built with a smaller and lighter power setup than my "speed Mig" and with all control surfaces activated.

My paint job was inspired by a scheme I found at this website, it is an excellent source of info if you are looking for inspiration for a Mig 29 paint jobhttp://www.mars.slupsk.pl/fort/mig/







As some of you probably know, when Germany re-unified, the Luftwaffe absorbed Mig 29s from the East German Air Force, and I had been looking for a good paint scheme to inspire me and found this one. I am not talented enough a painter to copy it exactly and I left the grey nose off, but hopefully I have honored the German flag with the color representation. I also think it should be pretty easy to see in the sky! I didn't fully paint the bottom to save a little weight and to help with contrast and orientation.

My AUW with an 1800 Mah battery is 520 gr/18.3 oz which I am pretty happy about, I think it will be pretty quick and maneuverable and my goal was to get in under 19 oz.

My build details -

  • 6mm depron glued with Foam Tac and a few dabs of hot glue and epoxy here and there;
  • 4mm Kf 4 airfoils top and bottom made with dollar store foam with paper removed;
  • all leading edges bevelled and sanded for looks and to help reduce aerodynamic drag;
  • paint is dollar store acrylic craft paint (total weight added of paint and decals 17 gr/0.6 oz);
  • 6 servos, 2 x 9 gr plastic gear servos for the elevons, 2 x 9 gr plastic gear servos for the ailerons, 2 x 5 gr plastic gear servos for the rudders;
  • Rx is a 6 channel receiver compatible with my Turnigy er9x, rudders are connected via a Y harness into rudder channel;
  • control surfaces are elevons, ailerons mixed as spoilerons (switch selectable) and rudders;
  • push rods are scratchbuilt 2mm carbon fibre tube, clevis from Hobby King and linkage stoppers from Hobby King; and
  • power system is a Focal Price 2700 Kv motor, 30 Turnigy Plush ESC and 1800 Mah battery 3S, 30-40 C discharge, based on the testing I did yesterday, I should get close to 36 oz of thrust with this setup at full throttle using a balanced 6x3 EMP prop.
My first Mig I ended up with the CofG about 2 and 7/8" behind the wing break where it meets the leading edge extension. I will start off just a little ahead of that for the maiden and then balance out as I get it dialed in.

Weather unfortunately is not supposed to be too great the next few days, so it will be a while before I get to take it up and rip around the field, but I'm excited to see it's full aerobatic potential!


Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment