Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

2200 Mah BATTERY AND MJV3 COMBO

It was a bit windy at the field again today, 10 mph winds, I have been getting bounced around pretty good with my lightweight F18 using a 1600 Mah battery and the MJV3 which is an excellent combo.  The plane is a real handful in the wind at that weight 505 gr/17.8 oz, so I wanted to see how it handled the extra weight of the 2200 battery.

It flew great, stability and tracking in the wind were greatly improved, my new weight with the 2200 is 555 gr/19.6 oz.  It did come with some costs, I had to fly at about 10% higher throttle setting so 65-70% throttle for just cruising around.  This gave me about a 7-7:30 minute flight time fighting the wind and carrying the weight.  Top end speed was also reduced as was vertical performance.  Even with good momentum, I could go about 25 ft straight up in the vertical before it would fall off and stall.

Aerobatics and flying performance were not really affected, still turned on a dime, looped and rolled really well, wasn't sluggish at all except at higher ends of the throttle.  As the battery would start to get "tired" about midway through the flight, the difference between 70% and full throttle was negligible.

The motor also came down quite a bit warmer from running it for a longer period of time at a higher throttle setting, after a couple flights I let it cool down completely as I could feel it starting to lose power after running it hot for an extended period of time.

I had to add some tape to my elevon hinges as the Foam Tac started to give away.

Just weighed the Focal Price motor with prop, weighs 65 gr/2.3 oz.

Hope to get some more testing done with the F18 today.

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment