Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, March 30, 2014

FRC FOAMIES SU35 MK2 BUILD LOG - 2ND INSTALLMENT

Hi everyone -

Yesterday I managed to get quite a bit of work done on my Su35 MK2 testbed plane.  I put all the carbon fibre in, a 4mm carbon rod for the wing spar, 3mm carbon tube in the elevons and across the back deck to reduce flex in that area.


I also bevelled and attached the elevons and ailerons.  I decided after much discussion with sgmoran from the RC Powers forum to go with a more scale size aileron.  They are actually inboard, so more like flaps or spoilerons, but hopefully by not having moving surface near the wing tip, it won't be as susceptible to tip stalls.  I also hope that it will reduce it's sensitivity in the roll axis to allow me to fly it a bit more scale without crazy amounts of expo.


To see if it makes a difference in how the air flows over the plane, I also tapered all the trailing edges on the wings, vertical stabs and elevons.


I put the fiberglass drywall tape on the boom extension that is between the nozzles to give that a little extra strength as it might be susceptible to breaking.  

I have also installed the centre spine, motor mount supports and nose support pieces, so now time to build up the fuselage.


Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment