Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

FRC F15 MK2 HANDLES AWESOME IN THE WIND!

Hi everyone -

Had a couple of FRC Foamies planes out at the field today


It was the first time I had a chance to fly my FRC Foamies F15 MK2 in any kind of windy conditions.  It was one of those early spring days where the wind was swirling around and going from dead calm to gusts up to 10-15 mph with very little notice!  Challenging flying, but lots of fun!  The F15 MK2 handled the wind exceptionally well as I expected it to, like most foamy parkjets I needed to keep the speed up a little higher in the turns, say about 60% throttle instead of about 50% throttle when winds are calm.  It did tend to get "waffly" or wing rock if I let the speed get down too much, but other than that it handled rock solid.

In my experience, planes with perpendicular vertical stabs like the F15/Su35/37 and Mig29 all seem to handle the wind much better than planes with angled vertical stabs like the F18, F22 and F35.  

I have about 30 flights on my F15 now and I am very happy with how it performs and I'm feeling very comfortable flying it, so I think the next time it is a bit calmer and wind isn't a factor, time for a little 4 cell fun!

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment