Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

NAMC Mig-35v2 Maiden and Flight Impressions

This has been the longest time since finishing a build and getting to maiden her.  I came back from vacation and the wind had finally stopped blowing.  Here is a refresher on the changes I made on this version:

Downsized and scale LERX and leading wing edge
Tapered ailerons
Oversized vertical rudders
Tapered cockpit

I'll address the change in flight characteristics each change made.  I first want to comment on the Turnigy 2200.  Our beloved FP 2700 motor is no longer available from Focal Price and Scott is awaiting delivery of a replacement. The FP 2700 is my very favorite motor from a performance/weight standpoint and the price is a bonus.  On this build, my last FP motor was a recycle and it didn't take kindly to crashing in the lake.  So, I put in the Turnigy 2200.  This motor runs fine and stays  cool, but I was seriously missing the extra 500kv.  I'm going to pull the FP2700 from my F22v3 and put the Turnigy in it.  With the higher wing loading, I missed the punch of the FP2700.

With the downsized LERX and wing surface area, there were several changes as expected.  I'll address the LERX first.  The decreased surface area of the LERX makes high alpha wing rock come on earlier vs the stock LERX.  I have the same throw for the elevons on this plane as my v4 and I will have to crank up the throw to perform a Cobra maneuver.  With less surface area, the nose doesn't get pitched up as violently.  I'll experiment with this and as on my other planes, dial in the elevon throw to perform a Cobra.  I'll probably use a dual rate for this.  With decreased wing surface area, the plane has higher wing loading and the center of lift is further aft.  As expected from our experience with the v4, the stock v4 Cg is where this plane is dialed in.  With a higher wing load, flight characteristics changed accordingly.  Simply put, the plane does not perform as well at slower speeds.  Several times the Turnigy 2200 did not have the power to punch me out.

However, there were desirable effects attributable to the LERX  and leading edge.  The plane was incredibly crisp and precise during 50% and above throttle.  When during maneuvers, they appeared more scale like.  Coming out of a loop, the plane slid through the bottom half losing altitude.  Reminded me of the F16 Thunderbird crash at Mt Home AFB.  This plane requires a larger flight envelope and field than the v4, though not like an NTM 2700 powered plane.

The new tapered ailerons performed superbly.  From my previous post, these ailerons are twice the length and half the width of the NAMCv1.  So they have the same surface area.  I actually had to dial them down from my v1 settings.  Rolls and turns were much crisper.  My next tests will compare ailerons on/off in high alpha to evaluate wing tip stalls.

If you've read my prior posts, I have been searching for the Holy Grail of RC park jets.  I found it with these new monster vertical rudders.  I was able to straight line knife edge.  It wasn't perfect and I'm not ready to do it 5ft off the ground down the runway, but I'll get there.  Rudder stall turns were also much easier.

As to the tapered cockpit, I couldn't tell a difference as I didn't do any top speed testing.

In summary, this plane looks striking in the sky.  Definitely it looks and flies much more like a scale plane.  If you like to yank and bank, this is it.  This plane with built specific for the NTM 2700 would be the bomb.  If you want the added capability of high alpha, stick to the stock LERX and leading edge.  These rudders are the ticket for those that like to use the left stick.  Once you've been bit with the FP2700/EMP6x3 combo, everything else drives like a Prius.

I'll try and get a build video with some flight highlights posted soon.

Blue sky to ya,
Stephan


5 comments:

  1. Hi Stephan -

    Excellent post flight report, very detailed findings on how each modification affected the flight envelope. I'm always amazed at how these planes can be affected by just small little additions or subtractions of foam here and there.

    I'm hoping the DX 2700 motor will show up soon and I can get it tested so we will have another source for one of our favorite motors, tough to beat for the price, power and pop...pardon the corny alliteration... :)

    Glad to hear those ailerons worked out well for you too, again amazing how basically the same surface area just shaped a little differently has a noticeable difference in the handling. Again, always happy to hear when you realize the same results that I have found when changing something on our planes. And isn't it amazing when we continually prove that smaller control surfaces are actually more efficient? That makes me happy to hear and know... :)

    That is awesome to hear about your new rudder design and it's knife edge performance, very cool to hear when a new design does what you want it to do...excellent stuff!

    Sounds like this variant would definitely be a real speed demon and have some scale performance, did you find because of that it was a bit more of a handful to fly? Or maybe because of the difference in power setup that made it more challenging to fly also?

    Again, awesome flight report, love the detail and the analysis of what was going on with each change you made, great stuff my friend... :)

    Cheers,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott,
    Thanks for the compliment. Detailed flight testing and reporting is what NAMC is all about! No fluff or @$$kissing here! We tell it like it is.

    This plane was more of a handful at slow speed and at high speed I needed a little more space to fly, though not as much as the NTM planes.

    If I have time tomorrow, I'm going to swap out to the FP2700. This should give me the P&P I need to recover.

    I am "enamored" with this blog. We can speak the truth without worrying about @$$hats.

    Take care my Canuck,
    Stephan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Testify my southern brother! Yes it is nice to be able to continue to build on this database of information we are collecting in an honest, fact based process.

      The body of work we are building here speaks for itself with respect to our thought processes, building, testing, analyzing and honestly reporting what we find. Truly refreshing, interesting and very educational to see how building on solid facts and findings can slowly and solidly make our planes fly how we want them to.

      I'm looking forward to your findings after putting a little more horsepower in your new NAMC Mig35V2... :)

      Pushing on today to get my Su35 complete...looking pretty cool with the paint job... :)

      Take care my friend... :)

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete
  3. Awesome to here you got some good knife edges in. I love doing knife edges jus5 not able to with the jets. I look forward to implementing the larger rotors so that I will be able to do knife edges as well. great review on your build in flight.

    great job
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob,
      Thanks for the compliments. With this new plane attempting the knife edge, I serendipitously discovered that flying straight away from you looking at the back of the plane is the best way to learn. It will be a while before I have time to put together a video.
      Stephan

      Delete