Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, February 13, 2014

FRC FOAMIES SU35 MK2

Hi everyone -

Lots of catching up to do!  About two months ago I built the FRC Foamies Su37 and Su35 MK2s.  Plans available here Su37 and Su35 MK2 plans, please donate if you download.

I had previously built the Su35 MK2, but built it way too heavy and it never flew properly, way too twitchy, very susceptible to torque roll, never really enjoyed flying it much.

Anyway, I wanted to try it again using much lighter build techniques and a lighter power setup.

My build -


  • 6mm depron with 4mm dollar store foam board for Kf4 airfoils, bulk of the construction done with Foam Tac glue with a few dabs of epoxy, hot glue, Gorilla Glue and 3M Super 77 glue here and there as well;
  • wing spar is 4mm carbon rod, elevons reinforced with 3mm carbon tube;
  • power setup is the Focal Price 2700 Kv motor with a 6x3 EMP prop, Turnigy Plush 40A ESC, normally I fly with a 1600/1800 battery, weight is about 19.5 oz, or in windy conditions I fly with a 2200, weight is about 21 oz;
  • receiver is a 6 ch compatible with my Turnigy er9x, six servos, rudders are connected with Y harness, elevons and ailerons each have their own channel; and
  • paint scheme is based on Kazakhstani Air Force paint scheme, all leading edges bevelled and sanded, paint is acrylic craft paint from the Dollar Store/Walmart/Michael's. 
Here is some flight video of it


In a future post, I will post video and post flight reports on a flyoff I did of the Su37 and the Su35 MK2s.

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment