Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, February 27, 2014

RC POWERS MIG 29 V1 COMPLETE

Hi everyone -

I managed to get my RC Powers Mig 29 V1 finished up yesterday... :)  My paint scheme is inspired by/loosely based on a paint scheme I found for a Mig 29 from  the 1st Fighter Aviation Regiment of the Czech Republic Air Force (CZAF).  The Mig 29 had a very short history in the CZAF from 1992-1995.  The government determined that the maintenance costs of 10 Mig 29s at the time would be too high, so they sold them to Poland in exchange for Polish Sokol utility helicopters.  The CZAF continued to fly Mig 23s (the last of which they retired in 1998) and Mig 21s (the last of which was retired in 2005) until they replaced the Mig 21s with SAAB JAS 39 Gripens on lease from the Swedish Air Force.  Anyway, interesting little bit of history I thought.



My build -

  • 6mm depron constructed primarily with Foam Tac with a few dabs of hot glue and epoxy here and there.  Wing spar is 4mm carbon rod (wing is very strong and stiff :)) and the elevons are reinforced with 3mm carbon tube;
  • power setup is the Focal Price 2700 Kv motor with a 6x3 EMP prop, Turnigy Plush 40A ESC and 30C discharge batteries in 1600, 1800 and 2200 Mah sizes.  Heavier batteries will be used when needed for the wind;
  • control surfaces are elevons only, hinges made with Foam Tac and fiberglass mesh drywall tape;
  • all leading edges bevelled and sanded; and
  • paint is acrylic craft paint from the dollar store/Walmart/craft store.
My AUW with an 1800 Mah battery is 14.4 oz/408 grams, with this weight, my thrust to weight ratio with the power setup I am using will be about 2.5:1...yikes!

This is the third of these great little planes I have built and by using Foam Tac and not using tape everywhere for reinforcement, I am 71 gr/2.5 oz lighter than before, so I should get some pretty decent speed and crazy punch and acceleration with the power setup I am using!

Lots of snow still on the ground right now, so once that is gone and the ground dries up, will have some flight video to post, I'm excited to see her fly!

Cheers,

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment