Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

FIELD TESTING OF THE GRAYSON HOBBY SSV2 MOTOR IN MY F18 V3

Hi everyone -

I tested another motor in my RCP F18 V3 testbed plane today, probably the last motor I will test for a while... :)

Today I tested the Grayson Hobby Supersonic V2 (SSV2) 2212-6 2200 Kv motorhttp://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/gh221206v2brushlessoutrunnermotor-p-398.html which until yesterday was still on the RC Powers Master Parts List... :( But no matter, some folks might have one laying around or are looking at it as a choice for this plane.

In the plane, it performed very much the same as the RC Timer 2212-6 2200 Kv motor, on the bench it was a tiny bit more efficient in that it drew less amps for essentially the same thrust as the RCT motor, perhaps due to slightly higher quality bearings, but it is tough to argue the price as this motor is $23.99 and the RC Timer motor is less than $10.

At the field today I tested the 6x4 APC prop and the 6x3 EMP prop, I noticed only a slight edge in initial acceleration with the 6x3 EMP prop and other than that the performance was much the same, maybe a little more endurance with the 6x3 EMP prop based on how much I had left in my battery when I landed.

My plane today weighed 18.5 oz with the 1600 Mah battery, I used a Turnigy Plush 30A ESC and everything worked just great. Good little combo, but again for price and equal performance I would probably have to go with the RC Timer 2212-6 motor if I was looking for a motor in this weight and power category.



Not the prettiest looking plane, but still flies awesome!

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment