Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, November 24, 2013

RCP F22 V3 SLOW FLIGHT TESTING AND NEW MOTOR

Hi everyone -

I had my F22 V3 from RC Powers out for several flights in the last couple of days and have been pushing myself to try and fly slow (less than 50% throttle) without mishap.  I had been trying it with spoilerons at about 7/8" inch deflection with the SMJV2 motor setup which gave me an overall weight of about 23 oz.  I reduced the deflection down to about 1/2" and it seemed to fly pretty well at 35-40% throttle straight and level, needing a little more power in the turns to keep it steady.

It became basically a 2 channel plane then, no real elevator input needed to keep the nose up and stable, I was controlling speed and sink rate with throttle and turning the plane with rudder.  It was still a challenge and I had to be on it all the time, one little slip up in throttle management and the tail sank and it kind of "parked" itself in the sky.

Since I have been having such amazing luck with the Focal Price 2700 Kv motor with a 6x3 EMP prop in other planes like the F18 and Mig 29 V3s and the FRC Foamies Su37 MK2, I decided it was time to give it a try in my F22.  I basically would be getting the same thrust but overall weight would be reduced by 1 oz.  I had been hesitant to do this as I was really liking that 6.4 oz/sq ft wing loading that is working so well for me on all the V3 planes.  With the new motor and a 2200 Mah battery, my new AUW is 22.1 oz, wing loading is now 6.1 oz/sq ft.

It worked really well with the new motor I am happy to report.  I put a little more expo in the ailerons to smooth out the roll factor in turns and it handles even smoother now.  I flew it with an 1800 Mah battery and found that it almost felt a little bit too light for my liking, I just didn't have the nice "feel" that I like to have with this plane.

So, I tried a little slow flying with the lighter weight and lower wing loading and found it flew better without spoilerons at slow speed!  I was able to keep the power around 40% and with gentle aileron input it turned nicely.  It is still a challenge and I have to stay on top of it, it doesn't stay as stable at slow speed as the F18 or the Mig 29, but it is a nice challenge and looks cool as it cruises by!

So I need to do more flying and testing with the new motor and get it dialed in just right again and then hopefully do some more slow flying and get video of it.

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment