Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, November 28, 2013

RCP F22 V3 MORE SLOW FLYING TESTING

I had my F22 out again a couple days ago doing some more serious testing on slow flying characteristics.  I have said before and Dave Powers has also said that the F22 does not like to fly so, but I thought I would try a couple different things just to see what happened.

There was a tiny bit of wind less than 5 mph, but it was there.  So when flying without spoilerons, I was able to fly at about 35-40% throttle without too much problem except when I went from a tail wind to a headwind, the plane would stop turning, stall and then roll opposite to the control inputs I had in!  Never had a plane do that before on me.

With spoilerons, I was steering (or trying to steer) with rudders and discovered very quickly that I either didn't have enough rudder throw (I am only using 5 gr plastic gear servos as I didn't really plan on doing any slow fly testing), or the rudder surfaces themselves are too small.

Here is some video of the flight


After posting the video, Dave Powers commented on the RC Powers website the forward swept trailing edge of the wing, forward swept ailerons and vertical stabs blocked by the body all contributed to it's inherent instability at slow speeds compared to the Mig29 and F18 V3s which are the opposite.  This makes sense as does the fact that the control surfaces are all so close together and if the airflow is "dirty" or non-existent, then they are probably all affected the same way at the same time, giving little control ability at slower speeds.  Just some of my theory anyway.

Bottom line, this is a muscle car and needs to be driven like one, not like Grandma's Buick going to church on Sunday, but it was fun testing!

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment