Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, November 21, 2013

RC POWERS F18 V3 "THRASHFEST" OR "CRASHFEST"... :)

It was a beautiful clear, cold day yesterday, so I took advantage of it and had an awesome day flying at the field with my FRC Foamies Su37 MK2 and my RC Powers F18 V3.

There was a bit of a breeze now and then, not strong, but swirling, so I put a 2200 Mah battery in my F18 to help with that which gives me that ideal weight of about 21.5 oz that seems to be "magic" for me.  So I decided to really put it through it's paces and luckily the RC Gods were with me as I had four "unscheduled" landings and the plane survived all of them!

Here is the video -


Looking back on all the planes I have flown that have been responsible for big "turning points" in my RC journey, this is the latest and greatest.  In fact three planes probably stand out as the most significant planes I have flown to get where I am today -

  1. the RC Powers F35 V2, the one that started it all, heavy, not too pretty, elevons only and Kf2, the first parkjet I ever flew;
  2. the RC Powers Mig29 V1, recommended to me by Jay and Greg from FRC Foamies to rebuild my confidence after writing off two of my nicer planes in one day, that plane though simple (profile construction and elevons only) is what really helped my flying skills "take off", I put hundreds of flights into that plane (built two of them); and
  3. the RC Powers F18 V3, it has really helped me take my skills to a while new level in how low and close and I can fly to myself and know that the plane will do what I ask of it without biting back, it is truly one of the best (if not the best) all round parkjet I have ever flown.  The Mig29 V3 would be a very close contender, but the F18 V3 is probably my all time favorite.
Anyway, having said that, it is probably time to dust off my F22 V3 and take it flying today, time to push the skills even harder!

Cheers,

Scott

2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott
    I've spent the last few hours on the RCP forum learning what I can about the F18 build as that is my next plane to build. I've built two but have not flown any. Maine weather keeps me inside. So Ias a complete noob (have never flown RC) and can not get the Sim to run on my computer., I've learned a lot. I've been using foam tac and drywall tape on all my folds and for control hinges. I like the weight challenge idea.and have enjoyed all the posts on RCP forum.
    thanks for all your help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, John, glad to hear you are having fun with the hobby thus far. The F18 V3 is an amazing plane and if given the chance to take only one plane to the field, I would probably pick the F18 every time. It is so smooth and stable yet aerobatic when you need it to be. I am continually amazed at how well it handles, I have yet to find any bad habits or tendencies with respect to this plane. I wish you luck and hope the weather improves before too long. I have been flying and landing in the snow the last few days, cold and crisp, but no wind, great flying conditions!

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete