Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

FRC FOAMIES SU37 MK2

I recently completed a lighter weight FRC Foamies Su37 MK2.  I had previously build an Su35 MK2, but built it way too heavy and it just never flew right, so I wanted to build this one much lighter


My build -

  • 6mm depron with 4mm dollar store foam Kf4 airfoils, mostly Foam Tac glue with epoxy and Gorilla Glue (my new favorite combo for motor mounts) and epoxy for the control horns;
  • 6 servo setup using RC Timer 9 gram nylon gear servos, elevons, ailerons (mixed as spoilerons, but I think I will delete this mix, not using it too much) and rudders;
  • power setup is the Focal Price 2700 Kv motor with 6x3 EMP prop, a 40A Turnigy Plush ESC, 1600/1800 Mah battery, giving me good solid 5-6 minute flight times;
  • all leading edges bevelled and sanded, paint is based on the Russian Flag colors of white, blue and red, used dollar store acrylic craft paint; and
  • AUW with battery is 555 grams/19.6 oz which in calm conditions is a perfect weight for this plane.
I am loving this Focal Price motor again for this size of plane, gives me such awesome performance for not too much money or weight.

I did a fly off with the RC Powers Mig29 V3 and found the Su37 MK2 to be more nimble than the Mig, possibly due to it being 5.5" shorter and having a 1" shorter wingspan, but I think that the Mig is just a bit more stable overall.

I have shot a couple videos of it flying 




It is an awesome little plane with lots of versatility from a standpoint of power and control setups.

Cheers,

Scott



2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott,
    I am in the process of building the SU-37 and need some help regarding the radio programing. I have a Spektrum DX-7s and after watching some videos and being an high alpha fun, I would like to have this config:
    full blown version with ailerons (and spoilerons), elevons, working canards and rudders?
    Can you please give a hand on this? Maybe you have or know of a generic setup that I could adapt to my DX-7s.
    I have access to mixers and Y cables.
    Thanks and have a great NEW YEAR!!!!
    Ernesto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ernesto -

      I have never used canards, but I think most guys do some sort of mixing or slaving setup between the elevators and the canards to get them to work. If you are a member at RC Powers website, there might be a description on the Su37 or Su37 MK2 threads that describe how to use them or set them up. I use to have a Spektrum Dx6i before I got my Turnigy er9x and this is how I setup elevons, ailerons and spoilerons and rudders using Y harness and onboard mixers. You will need 3 Y harness and two mixers.

      One Y harness goes into the aileron port of your rx. Then plug your elevon servos into one mixer, plug one lead of the mixer into one lead of the y harness in the aileron port and the other mixer lead into the elevator port of the rx, this gives you elevons.

      Then take your aileron servos, plug them into the second mixer, plug one lead of the aileron mixer into the remaining lead of the y harness that is in the aileron port of the receiver, then the other mixer lead into the flap/aux port of your rx so it will be switch selectable for spoilerons.

      It will take some playing around swapping leads, changing directions in your radio to get things to work just right and I can't give you any shortcut, you just have to play around with it.

      Then you can plug your rudders into your rx using a y harness and plug it into the rudder port of your rx.

      Sorry I can't be of any help on the canards. I'm sure the Dx7 might have some better mixing capabilities than that where you might be able to save yourself some y harness and mixers, but I don't know. If you are building the Su37 MK2, the electronics bay can be a bit small, so it might be a challenge to get all that gear in there.

      Good luck!

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete