Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, September 11, 2014

RCP Mig29 V4 Stock build and NAMCV2 slow flight comparison

Hi everyone -

Great day for evaluating some slow flying characteristics at the field today... :)


It has been a big source of frustration for me over the last few weeks/months to be able to do a valid "slow flight" fly off between a stock and modified plane of the same type that were of almost the same weight with the same power system.  Either I had the wrong planes with the right wind conditions or I had the right planes with the wrong wind conditions... :/  Anyway, the "park jet planets" aligned today and I was finally able to get some good slow flight testing and evaluation done today, right planes, right conditions... :).

The gist of this post is not so much about comparing two different Migs, but proving to myself that smaller elevons and ailerons do not negatively impact slow flight handling.

I was so happy today to finally have two planes with pretty much identical setups other than the size of their control surfaces to prove to myself once and for all that what I had always known would be proven true.  

So I decided to fly some maneuvers that were easily repeatable, I essentially flew a zig zag/slalom from one end of the field to the other, alternating 90 degree left and right turns followed by a 180 degree turn at the end to fly back the other way and repeat the same.  I found that about 35-40% throttle was about as slow as I could go without the planes falling out of the sky.  It was just mostly a matter of feel I guess, you get to the point where it feels like you might start losing control and then just add a little power til it flies properly.

I was essentially looking for a couple things, how crisp and solid did my control inputs feel and how well did the plane maintain energy through multiple maneuvers?

So here is what I found starting with the stock Mig29 V4.  The first turn or two were OK, but after that without an increase in power, the plane had a tendency to want to not only tip stall, but just stall in general as it lost speed and energy quickly.  It also felt sluggish and almost a bit sloppy as I went through repeated turns.

With the NAMCV2 with smaller elevons and ailerons, control was much crisper, more direct in fact and only when the speed bled off after about the fourth consecutive turn did it feel sloppy and need more power to get the speed back up.  The V2 held it's energy much better and longer and tendency to tip stall was almost non-existent until it got to complete stall speed.  

In the discussions I have read against smaller elevons and ailerons,  the argument presented was that larger surfaces moving less were better for slow speed flying and handling than smaller surfaces moving more.  My experience not only today but throughout all the testing and flying I have done with planes with smaller elevons and ailerons says this is not the case, at least for how I like to fly and what I expect and observe of my planes.  

So did I need more stick movement with smaller surfaces over the larger stock surfaces?  Not really, the plane just responded quickly and with less slop and drag with the same stick movements as used with the stock plane.

I'm sure someone smarter than me (perhaps my friend Stephan who often stays at the Holiday Inn Express and has read the "Big Book of Aerodynamics" might know... ;) ) can tell me if putting a large surface at less deflection causes more or less drag than a smaller surface moving more.  I have written and reported "ad nausea" that I find smaller elevons and ailerons to be more crisp, precise and efficient than larger elevons and ailerons, often needing the same or even less deflection to get my plane to fly how I want it to.

So a smaller surface moving the same or less than a larger surface is always going to cause less turbulence and drag, therefore allowing for crisper handling and better energy maintenance as my plane goes through the air, at least in my experience.

So please don't think I am trying to tell you that if you build and fly a plane with large or stock control surfaces you are going to be disappointed, build your planes and fly them to suit your flying style and enjoyment.  Just know that if your plane is not meeting your expectations, there are plenty of other options out there.  As both Stephan and I have said before, don't let fear and what the "everyone else" is doing hold you back if you want to try something different, foam is cheap, hack up an old plane if need be, follow and explore what you think will work, no matter what I or anyone else says.  The worst thing that can happen if try something else, it cost you a bit of foam and glue and you learned something in the meantime... :)  

There is no better way to prove or disprove a theory whether it is yours or someone else's than to try it out and see what happens as your plane flies around.  Like I have said, you might be amazed at the reward for the risk of a sheet or two of foam and some glue... :)

Anyway, a very fun day at the field and a very therapeutic way to finally get rid of some "park jet frustration"... :)

Cheers,

Scott

7 comments:

  1. Well put I too think it's common sense you will get less drag having smaller control surfaces therfore more stability I'm looking forward to making a NAMC mig think I'll go with the V2a I believe that rudder is going to give me better knife edges which I love to show the good side lol ( planes movie).

    Sorry to hear all the negative feedback on the said forums I believe I missed a lot of that due to my back injury. I'm glad I'm able to come here to see your guys feedback without the negative comments bashing your talented thoughts. Look forward to your guys blogs Keep doing what you are doing its great. Mind you some of the technical mobojumbo I get lost on but in the long run it's common sense that helps me understand it lol.
    Thanks
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob,
      I've been reading the blog but life hasn't left me much time to enjoy my favorite hobby. As saying goes, life's a bitch when your job interferes with your hobbies!
      The rudder conundrum, my design nemesis in chasing the straight line knife edge. I've accomplished a knife edge turn and a drunken straight knife edge. So the experimentation continues. In looking at the other mods Scott and I have done, the single greatest is the downsized and reshaped elevons. Make an amazing difference in spectrums of the flight envelope. These planes fly great without ailerons, so these mods are really for fine tuning. I am going to go the Scott's longer aileron on my present build. BTW, similar to the SebArt Mig, and they know how to design an airplane.
      Back to rudder, of all the surfaces this one is the most sensitive to what you want the input to do. For me, it has been the never ending search for the knife edge so I need lift at the tip of the rudder and yaw only on the force. I may be searching for the Holy Grail.
      I have tried all the basic variations. The full length rudder is on my first v4 build, awesome all around and at high alpha. I can do right turns with it in high alpha--this requires a lot of authority as there is only one rudder in the prop wash to thrust vector. The little bit of extra rudder at the top gives a little pitch down which helps as well.
      For me, I am continuing with the vertical inboard rudder and am increasing the surface area on my present build. I am also thinking about tapering and angling the rudder so that the maximum yaw force is more central than evenly distributed over the rudder.
      Time to head back to work.
      BTW Scot if you're reading. Damn right, we need some chlorine in the gene pool! Great comment you posted, LMAOF.
      Stephan

      Delete
    2. Hey Stephan, thanks for stepping in to help out with the rudder conundrum. I totally agree, since we started working together, the rudder and vertical stab setup is the most sensitive to how a plane can handle depending on what you want it to do. I had never paid much attention to it before, but now find it invaluable to how I build and fly my planes. By modifying the rudder and vert stab configuration it has allowed me not only to broaden what I can do with my plane, but made me a better pilot by being able to feed in that extra axis of control to make my plane fly smoother and more controlled.

      It is really an interesting area to explore rudder shape, size, angle and how a little tweak here or there makes a big difference. It takes some time and patience to get it dialed in for a specific purpose like you have been discovering, but the journey is all part of the reward. It is also an area like you mention that involves some of the biggest trade offs, but hey, no point in giving up on the quest for the Holy Grail (we just need to be beware the killer rabbit...sorry, bad Monty Python reference there... :/ )

      Yes, off topic, I think I saw that bumper sticker in North Carolina when I was TDY at Ft Bragg/Pope AFB.

      Was wondering if perhaps he thought there was a regional competition for the Darwin Awards? http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2014-04.html

      Years ago I remember reading a Darwin Award from that region of the US where a guy had used a .22 bullet to replace the headlight fuse in his pickup truck after coming home from hunting. Well, surprise, surprise, bullets and electricity don't mix and he got hit by the bullet as it ricocheted around the cab, lost control of the truck and sadly died.

      The unbelievable part thing is about two years later, another guy did the same thing, but instead of dying, he shot himself in the nuts. I guess it served the same purpose since he was unable to pro create after that... :/ As a trauma surgeon you could tell stories for eons about the crazy things that humans do to themselves and each other, nothing more fascinating than the human animal... :/

      Anyway, I look forward to your next evolution of the Mig and it's rudders... :)

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear your jobs got you tied up Stephan I know how that goes. Ya I love knife edges but what's a drunken knife edge lol never heard of it. I can only imagine that me trying to do knife edges just looks like somebody's drunk trying to do it hehe.
    OK got house guest about to show up you guys have a great weekend taking the kids swimming should be fun I hope lol
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Rob, good luck with the company and the kids! All the best for the weekend.

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete
    2. You nailed it on the drunken knife edge, bobbing and weaving all the way down the runway!

      Delete
  3. I have the drunken knife edge down lol.

    ReplyDelete