Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

FRC Su35 MK2 NAMCV2 Build log - Part 1

Hi everyone -

I just wanted to post a few pictures showing some updates mostly about mods I am making now that I am almost done cutting foam.

I am  going to be using modified elevons just like I did on the Su35 MK2 NAMCV1, but this time I will be using a fixed horizontal stabilizer and moving elevon surface similar to what is being used on the RCP Mig29 V4 and I think the Su34 V4.

After I finished drawing out what I wanted my elevon to look like, I made a template out of scrap foam so that I could trace it's outline on the plans, you can see the template in this picture.


I then cut this out as part of the wing plate (well half a wing plate actually in the case of this plane) and then scored what will be the hinge line.  The pen in the picture is pointing to the part that will remain attached to the wing plate and act as a horizontal stabilizer.


Another mod I wanted to mention that I have been thinking about is to the bottom part of the nacelles/intakes.  As you can see in the first picture, I had a bit of a "gonk" when I pancaked a landing pretty hard and the tip of the prop cut out a chunk of foam.  Fortunately it didn't happen in the air... :/  So I had a closer look and realized that where the prop disk is with the Focal Price 2700 motor (which I will be using in the V2 plane as well), there is only about an 1/8" inch clearance between that part of the foam and the prop tip.  So I decided to cut some foam away to give a bit more clearance to that area and hopefully prevent any clipping of the prop.

First picture shows the damage by my "pancake gonk landing".


This picture shows where I will cut away some foam. 


I have most of the parts cut out now (except for the KF airfoils) and will continue to shoot the build video in steps to discuss my tips and techniques learned from building a few FRC Foamies park jets.

Cheers,

Scott





No comments:

Post a Comment