Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, September 8, 2014

FRC Su35 MK2 NAMCV2 Build rebooted... :)

Hi everyone -

Well I guess I must still have the "build bug" as I am motivated to get the next version of my FRC Su35 MK2 build going now... :)  As I have mentioned, I will be shooting a build video pointing out my build techniques and some lessons I have learned building a total of 8 different FRC Foamies park jets (F15 MK1 x 2, Su37 MK1 x1, Su37 MK2 x1, Su35 MK2 x3 and F15 MK2 x 1).

To the best of my knowledge, there is not really a build video for the Su37/35 MK2, there are pictures on the FRC Foamies website, but I have not seen or heard of a build video.  I still get regular questions through my You Tube channel on my Su37 MK1 walkaround video that I shot 18 months ago, but this shows a completed plane, not the steps on how to get there, so I thought this would be a good opportunity to get one done.

I already shot the first part on how I prepare my plans before cutting out the foam as there are a few adjustments/modifications that I make even if I am building stock.  In addition to lessons learned from building this plane stock 3 times and once modified, I will be discussing the modifications I am making to this NAMCV2.

I have taken a couple pictures that will serve to demonstrate the main modifications I am making, smaller ailerons and "kicked out" vertical stabilizers (similar to the RCP Mig29 V3 and V4).  My elevons are also quite different from stock, but I will discuss that when I get to that stage.

Here is a picture of the dimensions of my ailerons.  I decided to go with what I have had great success with on the NAMC V1.  Even though I am reducing the moving surface on my elevons, I decided to keep the ailerons the same size and if need be I can crank up the throws to adjust the roll response to my liking.


This next picture shows how I widen the back portion of the wing plate so that I can angle the vertical stabs inwards by 3 degrees.  If I don't move the back slot outwards, the vertical stab would interfere with the prop slot and prop, so by widening it, it alleviates this problem.  The orange line also shows where I will cut the rear of the prop slot to open that up, I just always do that no matter what plane I build.  I noticed in the picture that I cut off the amount to draw the line back, it is 3/8" back from where the centre part of the stock prop slot ends on the plans.


I will do my best not to bore you to death with all the different stages of my build like I did with the Mig29 V4 NAMCV2...I'll let the video do that... :/  But I will take pictures mostly of things that might be critical to adopting the mods I am making to this plane as they might not show up well enough in the video.

Cheers,

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment