Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, October 7, 2013

FRC FOAMIES F35 600 BUILD COMPLETE

Hi everyone -

Playing a bit more catchup as I just finished up my 4th F35 600 build as I had recycled all my other F35s and wanted to have one in my "hangar".  I decided to go with a Vancouver Canucks inspired paint scheme.






I didn't quite make it at the weight I predicted, I was hoping for 16.5 oz with a 1600 Mah battery, but I ended up at 470 gr/16.6 oz, so not too far off!

My build -

  • 6mm depron with Foam Tac glue and a little hot glue and epoxy when needed;
  • Kf4 airfoils made from dollar store foam board;
  • control surfaces active - elevons, ailerons and rudders on a six servo setup, 9 gr RC Timer nylon gear servos for the elevons and 5 gr HXT 500 nylon gear servos for the ailerons and rudders, so far no special mixes of any kind;
  • Power setup - RC Timer 2212-6 2200 Kv motor with a 6x3 EMP prop, 30A Turnigy Plush ESC with timing set to medium (this was the best setup I found in my recent round of motor testing), battery is 3s 30-40C discharge;
  • Using a 6 channel HK TR6A V2 receiver compatible with my Turnigy er9x radiohttp://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=12901 elevons and ailerons each have their own independent channel, rudders are on a Y harness;
  • I filled the larger grooves with scrap dollar store foam glued in with a thin bead of Foam Tac, all leading edges bevelled and sanded;
  • Paint is dollar store acrylic craft paint, the black is actually done with magic marker from the dollar store; and
  • pushrods are scratchbuilt with 2mm carbon rod, clevis from Hobby King and quick connects from RC timer.
I made a few changes from my last build, I downsized the rudders a bit as I found with the bigger rudders I had before that it was very sensitive in the yaw if I used rudders, it did some cool rudder rolls, but sometimes got too sensitive, so I downsized those a bit.

Since the grass will more often than not be wet now that fall is here and I may even end up landing on the snow at times, I put all my electronics up top to hopefully keep them dry and didn't cut out the lower electronics bay as per the plans.

I did put some cooling vents in the side of the fuselage behind the canopy to help improve airflow through the electronics bay up top. Where my battery is in the picture is pretty much neutral with the CofG on the plans, so the bulk of the weight is right around the CofG which will be very good for handling and aerobatics. I also tested it with a 2200 battery and I have plenty of room if I need to add a little more weight to help in the wind.


Hope to be able to maiden in the next few days and will get some video!


Flight video of my F35 600.  I have since swapped out this motor with the RC Timer 2208/8 2600 Kv motor, works great, about 11 grams lighter and lots of thrust with a 6x3 EMP prop.



Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment