Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

PERFORMANCE COMPARISON RC TIMER 2212-6 AND TURNIGY D2826/6 MOTORS

Since these two motors, the RC Timer 2212-6 2200 Kv http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=116&productname= and the Turnigy D2826/6 2200 Kv http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idproduct=12919 are both very popular parkjet motors and are on the RC Powers Master Parts List, I thought I would do a bit of a performance comparison.

I have been distilling down the numbers even more on the testing that I have done thus far and have come up with some numbers to determine thrust produced versus motor weight added to the plane and thrust produced versus amps drawn. I may be off the mark, but I think the numbers of thrust versus amps drawn may be an equation of efficiency if I ask myself, how much power am I getting for energy consumed, the "best bang for the buck", so I will be publishing some of those numbers in this thread over coming days. There are interesting trade offs between props and timing settings, but I think the optimum setups (at least from the data I gathered) are easy to determine. And again, it is all based on how you like to fly, but I think most of us want to get maximum power output for minimum power input.

Anyway, I decided I would look at the numbers for the 2212-6 2200 Kv motor and the D2826/6 2200 Kv motor and give my opinion on what I would consider the best setup that I would use in my planes.

RC Timer 2212-6 2200 Kv (as you may have read in a previous post, I weighed this motor with a prop attached, X motor mount and bullet connectors also attached, exactly as it would go in my plane, the weight I got was 64 gr/2.26 oz) -

  • prop I would use - 6x3 EMP;
  • timing I would use on my ESC - medium;
  • thrust numbers at 50% throttle - 542 gr/19.1 oz; and
  • thrust numbers at 100% throttle - 825 gr/29 oz
  • on this setting at 50% throttle, I get an 8.5:1 thrust to motor weight ratio and a 1.6 oz of thrust per amp drawn. This is the best mid range performance of any prop and ESC setting I get with this motor (the next best result I got was 1.4 oz of thrust per amp);
  • on this setting at 100% throttle, I get a 12.9:1 thrust to motor weight ratio and a 1.2 oz of thrust per amp drawn. It is slightly less than the best thrust to amp drawn I got at 100% throttle (which was 1.3), but for the great mid range performance, I am happy to sacrifice a little bit of efficiency at top end.

Turnigy D2826/6 2200 Kv motor - motor weight is 67 gr -

  • prop I would use - 6x3 EMP;
  • timing I would use on my ESC - medium;
  • thrust numbers at 50% throttle - 535 gr/18.9 oz;
  • thrust numbers at 100% throttle - 860 gr/30.3 oz;
  • on this setting at 50% throttle, I get a 8:1 thrust to motor weight ratio and a 1.5 oz of thrust per amp drawn. This is not the best thrust to motor weight ratio I got, the best was 8.5:1 on high setting, but the high setting on the ESC with this prop only gave a 1.3 oz of thrust per amp drawn, so not as efficient; and
  • on this setting at 100% throttle, I get a 12.8:1 thrust to motor weight ratio and a 1.3 oz of thrust per amp drawn. I get a better thrust to motor weight ratio on low setting with this prop of 13:1, but the efficiency is down to 1.1 oz of thrust per amp drawn.
Anyway, I know these numbers can be a bit dizzying, but based on the data I collected, these motors are very similar, the 2212-6 is a bit more powerful and efficient at mid range power setting, while the D2826/6 gets the edge at full throttle by a small margin.

The difference in weight is negligible at 3 grams really, both will work well on a 30A ESC. The D2826/6 draws slightly more amps at mid range, but their top end amp draw on this prop and ESC timing is pretty much identical at 23.5/23.6 which is very good and should help both motors last longer even if you fly like I do and like to pound the throttle pretty hard. The RC Timer website says the 2212-6 should be able to swing a 7x3 or 7x4 prop, so swinging a 6x3 should be a little easier on the motor (it doesn't give a max current figure). The HK website says the D2826/6 is rated for 34A max current on a 7x4 on 2S or 5x5 on 3S, obviously with the 6x3 EMP I was well below that.

I think with the performance numbers I looked at these setups would give me the best overall performance from a standpoint of thrust and efficiency, with a few give and takes to get best overall performance from mid to high end throttle and would still allow both motors to run well for a long time.

I guess based on the numbers and that the motors are very close with these setups, it would come down to personal preference or what you had available.

Anyway, again, these are based on numbers that I collected, nothing overly scientific, they have certainly been very helpful to me in determining prop type, ESC size and timing setting and hopefully might help you try something that will allow you to maximize your motor's performance!

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment