Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Work has begun on my new RCP Mig29/35 NAMCV2

Hi everyone -

Well, I have started work on my new Mig29/35 NAMCV2 (making up new acronyms is fun... :) ) based on the RCP Mig29 V4.  I am looking to experiment and evaluate a couple of things as shown in the pictures below.  It won't be a speedy build as with the nice weather I do a lot of flying now and other summer activities, but I will plug along and keep the blog updated.

As Stephan and I have discussed a bit already in previous posts, I want to experiment with larger rudder surfaces to see if it helps improve right turn performance in high alpha without sacrificing clean, direct rudder response in the yaw axis, i.e. no rudder roll that has to be compensated for with opposite aileron when doing stall turns, wing overs, etc.  So basing my rudder mod on the FRC Su35 MK2 stock rudder, I angled the rudder hinge and trailing edge back 3 degrees from vertical and then extended the hinge line right to the top.

I now have a rudder surface that is about 10.75 sq inches, an increase of 2.75 sq inches over the rudder I have on my Mig29 V4M3e3.  I'm interested to see what happens, I'm sure it should give better rudder authority, but hopefully not cause any other problems that need to be compensated for.  This should still give me that updated Mig35 look and since the hinge and trailing edge are still pretty much vertical, I should retain the good clean characteristics of this design that I like.


I have also decided to play with the aileron shape a little bit, pulling the hinge line aft about 3/8" and extending the length outwards about an inch.  This actually gives me pretty much the exact same amount of moving surface as the V4M3e3 aileron, but I'm interested to see how or if there is any difference in high alpha stability and performance (when the ailerons are deployed as spoilers/spoilerons).  This brings the aileron to about 50% of the total trailing edge of the wing.  I will still leave 3/4" static along the fuselage to allow me to run my push rods externally without interference from the moving originally designed aileron.

LATE EDIT:  In the process of cutting out the foam just now, I realized I mislabeled the picture below.... :(  The length of the trailing edge of the aileron should be 4 and 3/4", not 5 and 3/4".  Sorry for the confusion... :/


Another main goal I have in this build is to try and lighten it up a bit over the V4M3e3.  I got a bit heavy handed with the hot glue in a couple spots in my haste to get it built, so I am hoping if I can lighten it up by about an oz, I might break the 90 mph barrier with the Focal Price 2700 motor on 3S with the 6x3 EMP prop... :)  I clocked the V4M3e3 at 88 mph, so I'm hoping with a little weight reduction I can break the 90 mph barrier.  

All other build techniques will be the same as my previous two RCP Migs including all the other mods I made to the V4M3e3 from stock.  As I mentioned in my last post, I liked the blue camo pattern on my last stock built FRC Su35 MK2 which I think was inspired from a Kazakhstan Air Force paint scheme.  So the other day a picture popped up from the MigFlug page I follow on Facebook of an Azerbaijani Mig29 and luckily it was on this website I like to use for Mig paint schemes http://www.mars.slupsk.pl/fort/mig/   I think the roundel looks kinda cool too, so this is the paint scheme I will go with.



As always, it is exciting to tweak and experiment a little bit more with this plane and if I don't fully achieve the goals I am look for, I still have a pretty darn cool plane to fly... :)

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment