Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, August 29, 2014

RCP Mig29 V4 NAMCV2 Build log - Part 3

Hi everyone -

Another very busy day in the NAMC workshop (Canadian Division).  I managed to get the airframe completed including KF4 airfoils, time now just to let all the glue cure overnight before dry fitting the servos and doing the final carving, shaping and sanding.


I'm pleased with how the NAMCV2 modified vert stab and rudders turned out, looks pretty sleek and lots of control surface, can't wait to try them out.


During assembly, I noted that I had made a bit of a "boo boo" in cutting and ended up with a bit of a gap between the back plate and where it meets the vert stab and side fuselage in the back as you can see in the picture below.  


As I am trying to build light, I didn't want to smear a bunch of glue in there to fill the gap, so I had a bit of a "eureka" moment fortunately and decided to bridge the gap with a strip of drywall tape reinforced with Foam Tac glue.  I did this both on top and bottom.  So not only did I cover that gap, but in the process I managed to strengthen up that critical joint considerably... :)  Sometimes I would just rather be lucky than good... (which happens a lot, cause I'm not that good :/ )


So after cutting the holes for the servos, it will be time to give the plane it's final finish with razor knife and sandpaper.  This process again is a bit fussy and takes some patience, but makes a huge difference not only in how the plane looks but how it flies in my experience.  It also on average saves 15-20 gr or about half an oz or more in weight with the foam that is removed.  

I have forced myself to be a bit more methodical in this build and take my time, thus far I have managed not to use any hot glue, just Foam Tac.  I will use some epoxy for the motor mount and control horns, so hopefully as long as I don't go too crazy with the paint, I should keep it lighter than my previous Mig29 V4 NAMCV1.  Not that the NAMCV1 is a pig by any means, but I am shooting to get as light as my first Mig29 V3 which weighed 20 oz with a 2200 battery.  It will be tough as the V4 in foam alone is almost an oz heavier than the V3, but I'm doing my best.

Then after the finishing job, time to paint then mount the motor and electronics and then start the process of getting everything connected  and sorted out before the maiden flight which I hope will happen early this week... :)

Cheers,

Scott



No comments:

Post a Comment