Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, August 3, 2014

RCP Mig-35 NAMC

FP 2700, Turnigy 40 ESC, Hitec 82MG Elevons, RcTimer MG Rudders, RcTimer PG Ailerons
15.75 oz, 450 gm

If you have been reading our posts, I want to clarify that the plane I just built and call the Mig-35 NAMC is the same as Scott's Mig-29v4 e3M3.  This plane is such an advancement it deserves its a new name.  Scott came up with the idea of adding to the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer and said it looked more like the Mig-35.  Hence the new designation of Mig-35.  

I was able to get six flights in tonight before dinner.  It was hot and I should have taken a second plane to let the electronics cool off between flights.  I was having so much fun, I probably wouldn't have flown the second one!

The Mig-29v4 impressed me and I gave it an outstanding review and it was a huge advancement over the Mig-29v3.  Honestly, this Mig-35 NAMC takes the same leap forward over the v4 as the v4 did over the v3.

I was able to quickly dial the plane in with just a few clicks of trim.  Cg is 3/4 inch behind stock which is what Scott was also found with the 40% KFs instead of 38% stock.  Amazing that adding 1/4 inch to the Kf changed the center of lift by 3/4 inch.  Once again, reproducible results.

I adjusted the servo travel and dual rates to get the desired pitch/roll/yaw.  As always, I adjust my control horns and arms so that travel and expo are within 80-100%.  This maximizes servo resolution and mechanical advantage giving the best possible stick feel.  I spent a little more time on the elevon throw.  Tonight I did something new setting up my elevon throws to help minimize EPPE (elevon polar pitch effect) and TVAG (thrust vectoring ass wagging) Twerking.  In thinking about my setups, I have had a tendency to follow the more is better (just like surface creep) and have some in reserve when it comes to throws on the elevons.  After tonights flights, clearly that line of thinking is detrimental to clean precise flying.  The cobra and the tumble loop are two maneuvers I do that require a lot of elevon throw.  So I  I kept dialing down the expo and travel to the bare minimum to accomplish a nice looking cobra.  This left me plenty to do a tumble loop as well.  I now have my elevon throw down to 2 inches each direction.  Turns were much cleaner and I never had to add throttle.  I will continue to fine tune the throw, I may even set up a dual rate on the elevons.  In general though, I stay away from dual rates, easy to fumble finger and crash.  

Once she was dialed in, I did a lot of yanking banking and pushing the flight envelope.  Just like Scott, this plane is awesome!  Flies very precise, cutting through the air like a finely tuned sports car at the Nurburgring.  Hands down, this is the best park jet I've ever flown.  The inboard ailerons are a tried and true winner.  The new vertical stabs and rudders made knife edge flight the easiest yet of all the designs I have tested.  Hats off to Scott for the leading edge addition.  This gives more lift and stability in knife edge turns.  With practice, I think I may be able to do a straight down the runway knife edge.  The new elevon design is a winner as well.  I was able to do some high alpha and first impression is it as good as the v4.  I need do some side by side high alpha to further evaluate our chagnes to the thrust vectoring part of the elevons.

This week I'll work on a build presentation to go over the changes we have made along with some building tips.

In summary, build one!!! It will be you new favorite park jet as it Scott's and mine.

Blue skies to ya,
Stephan


3 comments:

  1. Outstanding post flight report as always, Stephan...:). I am so stoked that you are pleased with the modifications we made, I am glad I'm not the only one who is so impressed with the precision and scale handling of this plane.

    Interesting comments and process on reducing the throws down to just what is needed to make your plane fly with precision. I found the same thing with my stock V4 and now the Mig35 NAMC (I'll switch to your nomenclature for my plane too, sounds cooler... :) ). I'm continually impressed by how sizing the control surfaces just right for what their role is gives such amazing performance, reduced drag and turbulence, reduction of thrust vectoring stalls and tip stalls and overall improvement of yaw authority with modified rudder hinges.

    I'm always a bit worried that as we go along tinkering and modifying our planes that we are going to bump into a problem with our mods causing problems, but thus far we have had such great success, I'm continually amazed at how each NAMC modified plane get better and better... :)

    I look forward to seeing video of a knife edge straight down the runway as you get more stick time with this beauty! I'm also still waiting for a dead calm day to really get this plane dialed in for some solid, sustained high alpha. I manage to get a little bit here and there, but most days it is a bit too windy for good high alpha, so hard to truly assess it's capabilities.

    Once again, so very happy that you are impressed with what we came up with... :) Great job on the post flight report and I look forward to your next instructional video on your build.

    Cheers,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! I enjoy the sharing of ideas here. I wonder if Greg F1 Wanabes Foam-Tac Foam-Finish would make for smoother stronger finish. I have bought it but not used it yet. It looked good in his U-tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug -

      Thanks so much for the kind words, feel free to share some of your own ideas through comments to our posts, we would be excited to hear your input.

      Sorry I can't help with any feedback on the Foam Finish product you mention, I haven't really been following the RC Powers forum for several weeks now and don't know much about it. Would be very interested to hear what your impressions of it are though.

      Thanks again and we look forward to hearing more from you in the future... :)

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete