Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, August 8, 2014

FRC Su35 MK2 NAMC modded update #1

Hi everyone -

I have spent a bit more time with pencil, ruler and protractor and have most of the new slots drawn out for the reduced sized vertical stabs and other things I had to move around to accommodate the mods on my next FRC Su35 MK2 build with NAMC mods.


In the picture above, I tried to color code things to make explanation easier 
  • the large area with blue hash marks shows where I widened the back deck of the wing plate by 1/4" (for a total of 1/2")  I did this on the first FRC Su35 MK2 I modded to allow me to move the slots for the vertical stabs outwards so that as the front of the stab angles in (similar to the RCP Mig29 V3 and V4), it does not interfere with the prop slot;
  • the two green areas with the outside edges highlighted are where the tabs for the vertical stabilizer will go.  This will still bring the back part even with the back of the wing plate where the elevons will hinge on the plane.  You might be able to see how they are angled.  The angle is very slight, 2 degrees, it is what I used on my first modded Su35 MK2 and works really well to aid overall stability of the plane; and
  • the two red areas are where the tabs for the intakes/nacelles/side fuselage will go.  I moved the forward one (the one at the top of the picture) so that it doesn't interfere with the angled front slot for the vertical stab.  I will have to move the tab on the intake/nacelle part on the bottom forward accordingly, but everything should remain good and moving that forward shouldn't interfere with any other aspects of the build.

One of the reasons this build is progressing along so slowly is that the weather has been so nice, I have been doing a lot of flying... :)  Nothing wrong with that since it is the end goal of this hobby for me... just getting out there and turnin' and burnin'!  Anyway, I blasted through 9 more flights with my current FRC Su35 MK2 today again focusing on whether any other mods are warranted.

A couple posts ago I was throwing around ideas about increasing the size of the inboard ailerons to be about the same ratio as those on the Mig29 V4M3e3.  Well, nothing proves or disproves an idea like true feedback at the field... :/  If I increased the current ailerons I am using on my Su35 to come into line with the Migs, they would be increasing in size by about 70%!  That is a bit too much considering the Su35 is already more sensitive in the roll axis than the Mig.  So in my usual very scientific manner, I "WAGed"  (Wild Ass Guessed... :) ) that I am reducing the moving surface of the elevon by 15% by using part of it as a horizontal stabilizer.  Therefore, I will increase the surface area of the aileron by 15%...easy peasy, lemon squeezie!  Seriously though, it will be just a subtle increase and given that I still have lots of adjustment flexibility through pushrod setup and radio setup, I think it will work out fine and still give me great roll authority for turns and aerobatics without sticking huge control surfaces into the slip stream causing the drag and turbulence we are trying to eliminate.

Anyway, this is kind of the 1st draft of where things will go, as I have found sometimes with modifying these planes, once things start to go together, a slot or a tab may have to be moved or adjusted to maintain structural integrity or strength or just to make life easier... :)

I have also discussed with Stephan that I will try to put together a build video discussing some of the unique FRC Foamies build requirements.  I won't discuss how to make a hinge or put carbon in a wing, there are lots of resources around for that.  I get a lot of questions on my You Tube video of the Su37 MK1 I built quite awhile back, but is a post build walkaround, not really demonstrating some of the unique steps that are required for FRC Foamies park jets over other score and fold planes.  

Cheers,

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment