Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Build Tip: "Ungluing" Hot Glue

While looking at FPV videos (my next RC venture)  I came across this video:
http://flitetest.com/articles/hot-glue-tricks
About the only place I use hot glues in my builds is to spot glue tack welds when shaping the nose and for gluing on my servos.  I've read all kind good and bad advice on the forums about taking servos off without destroying the plane or just cleaning them up to recycle them.  In this video they show how denatured alcohol quickly separates the hot glue.  Holy mackerel, its ridiculous how easy it is!!!! Go get some, now!!  My favorite tip of all time.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent tip, Stephan. I am subscribed to the Flitetest You Tube channel and although I don't watch all their videos, many of their videos are very useful and I have picked up several foam building tips from them.

    Their podcasts are also a great source of info, again, not everything is of interest to me, but I have learned quite a bit from many of them http://www.flitetest.com/podcasts#/types=podcasts I will often just have a podcast playing in the background as I build if it is of interest to me, great way to get the odd little tip here and there.

    They are certainly a great source of info, and as I said before if a person was just wanting to get into a very inexpensive way of scratch building, their swappable series is brilliant in it's simplicity, if I had to start over again, I would definitely start off with their beginner planes, a very inexpensive and easy way to get someone flying.

    Cheers,

    Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, any other good way to remove hot glue is to freeze it and it becomes brittle and is easily removed. Take "Dust-off" and turn it upside and spray the hot glue and off it comes.

    ReplyDelete