Search This Blog

Translate

Saturday, November 8, 2014

RCP Mig29 V4 NAMCV3 Speed fun... :)

Hi everyone -

Back out at the field yesterday with my two favorite Russian park jets.


Since making the repair on the motor mount on the Mig, I also took a look through my motor bin and found an NTM with smoother bearings than the first motor and also put on a brand new balanced prop, so I wanted to do another round of speed trials on both 3S and 4S.

So here is some video footage of it.


Oops, sorry, wrong video...but thought that would get you in the mood for some speed... ;)

Here is the real video, first part is on 3S, second on 4S.  I apologize that due to the speed, the fact it needs a lot more room in which to fly because it is so fast and the bright sky that it washes out occasionally, but hopefully you get a sense of darn fast this little beauty is... :)



So with a good solid motor mount, smoother running motor and brand new balanced prop, I actually squeezed some more speed out of it... :) 

On 3S, I managed 4 good speed runs of 99/97/96 and 93 mph, about a 2 mph improvement in top speed over the first set of trials I did.

On 4S, I managed 4 speed runs of 117/111/105 and 102 mph, again about a 2 mph improvement in top speed over the first set of trials I did.

I am really so pleased with how well this plane flies, I haven't flown a plane with that much speed before, so it does take some serious concentration as you might see on the very last speed run on 4S, I twitched the stick just a bit to the left before making the right turn and it was headed for the trees at a rather rapid rate of knots!

Awhile back, Stephan and I had talked about building a plane light but strong that would still be able to take the NTM Prop Drive motor, but also fly well with the Focal Price motor.  I think that even though I increased the weight with more carbon reinforcement and one set of metal gear servos over how I normally build, because I reduced the size of the plane, the two balanced out.  That and experimenting with thinning my paint down helped me keep the weight of the paint job down.  

So this makes this plane pretty flexible being able to swap power systems and have the airframe easily handle either without sacrificing overall performance.  In all honesty I will probably go back to the lighter FP setup as I am so used to that, it is a bit more relaxing flying.  But it is nice to know that if I am really feeling feisty I can do a 10 minute motor and ESC change and really tear up the sky... :)

So next up is another FRC Su35 MK2 with a fairly ambitious modification plan, then we shall see where we go from there.  Maybe I'll do something different and build another Mig... :/

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment