Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, November 23, 2015

RCP Mig-29 V1M Build update #2

Hi everyone -

I made quite a bit more progress on my RCP Mig-29 V1M today.  Sorry, the first one is a bit of a blurry picture :/   I first sanded the leading and trailing edges of my elevons/horizontal stabilizer, installed some bamboo skewers for reinforcement in the elevons, back plate along the horizontal stab, in the vertical stabs and along the nose as you can hopefully see in this picture.  This is a function of the Fli-Power Value XPS foam I am using for this build.  As I was handling the pieces, I found them to be very flexible and thus far these reinforcements seem to give my wing plate about the same rigidity as Depron.  So lessons learned there and when I am done this build, I will write a post about building an entire plane with this foam.

I also installed a 20" piece of 4mm carbon rod just behind the prop slot for my wing spar.  Given the flexibility of the foam and the fact I want to use a 2200 3S 40C battery for most of my flights, I wanted some extra strength and wing loading capacity.

You can see I also cut out holes in the wing plate to accept my rudder servos.  I would normally run these a bit more inboard, but if I did that, the pushrods would interfere with the prop slot.


In this next picture, you can see I expanded the prop slot just a bit, put some transparent duct tape on the bevelled side of my elevon hinges for extra insurance and installed the two side pieces.  My next step will be to install the elevon and aileron servos and pushrods with the plane as is since this is easier to do with the battery bay wide open like this and the plane laying flat on it's back.


I also measured and cut out my top and bottom KF airfoils to make the KF4 I want.  For now I am going with about 41% of wing chord at the root and 35% of wing chord at the tip.  These dimensions work really well on the NAMC Mig-35, so since it is a very similar wing, I will start there.  The slots cut out are to accept the rudder servos.  I will now use these as templates for the other wing.  Once I figure out if these dimensions work well, I will take some measurements and publish those in a follow on post.


I hope to have her ready to fly in a couple more days, much of the rest of the build is a bit fussy getting the gear installed and sorted out, then I always like to leave a plane overnight once it is done to let all the glue cure (ask me why I do that... :/) before flying.

I have a paint scheme in mind, but won't paint until I put a few flights in it in case I need to trim anything off with my knife like the KFs, etc.

I'm very happy with how it is shaping up thus far :)

Cheers,

Scott



No comments:

Post a Comment