Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

RCP Mig-29 V1 build update #3

Hi everyone -

Another busy day puttering with my RCP Mig-29 V1M, I am in the home stretch on the build now :)

Here is a picture of it head on now, starting actually look like a jet, the vert stabs are just dry fit for now for the picture.


I glued the nose and wing plate together and after the glue dried, I cut out the center "fin" to give me more room to move my battery around and make it easier to install the rest of the electronics gear.  Here is a before picture with "fin" still there waiting for glue to dry.  


In this picture, you can see where the "fin" has been removed and velcro run back for battery placement.


Today after hooking everything up to make sure they work, I installed the servos, ESC and receiver and put in some velcro to hold the battery.  I used a trick I learned from my last Mig-29 V1 build and used a zip tie to secure my ESC.


On the outside of the intake/nacelle, I put a little piece of popsicle stick to keep the zip tie from tearing the foam :)

Here is a picture of the electronics bay from the rear, motor will be mounted after final sanding so as to prevent any dust/debris getting in the motor.


Showing the servos, from left to right, aileron, rudder and elevon, pushrods and control horns will be installed in the next stage of building.


KF4 airfoils installed and taped down, I will let the glue dry overnight before shaping and sanding the leading edge symmetrically.  Here is a picture of the rudder servo from the top, counter sunk into the top KF to help keep it out of the way.


Hope to get final finish and sanding done tomorrow, motor installed, pushrods connected and everything set up to be ready to fly before the end of the week.  Unpainted with a 2200 3S battery, I anticipate my weight to be around 480 gr/16.9 oz.  Hard to believe how heavy I used to build my planes.  My first Mig-29 V1 with only two servos, no KFs and nowhere near as much reinforcement weighed 19 oz/540 grams with a 2200 battery!  Even after painting, I will still be under that weight with KF4, 6 servos and linkages and lots of extra reinforcement.

Next update will be when she is one and ready to fly :)

Cheers,

Scott









3 comments:

  1. Hey Scott, loving this post! Can I ask: why do you use velcro to secure your battery, but a zip-tie for the ESC? Does it have to do with heat generated by the ESC affecting the velcro adhesive? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really, in this situation I just wanted the ESC to stay put and out of the way. Since I will always be putting the battery in and out before and after each flight, that is why I use velcro, plus it allows me to fine tune the battery position to get best balance.

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete
    2. I should add though that the zip tie method would be good for warmer weather as sometimes the ESC does get warm enough to melt the adhesive on velcro, I have experienced that in the past, so using a zip tie might be a better option if possible.

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete