Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, November 22, 2015

RCP Mig-29 V1M - build update #1

Hi everyone -

I have all the pieces cut out for my Mig-29 V1M other than the KF4, I will wait until I get the wing plate all put together since I will have to do some measuring and tracing around the leading edge and wing tip to get the right dimensions before cutting those out.

I tried to remember to take pictures as I went along, so starting from the back, here are my modified elevons.  Similar to the F18 V3M project, I looked at diagrams of the Mig-29 to get a ratio between the wingspan and the elevon span to determine how much I needed to reduce the elevon to make it more scale.  This will also give me slightly smaller control surface, but that is OK as it should also reduce drag, improve stability and speed.  The area highlighted in orange is how I added some lines to make sure I could still match the hinge line on the back plate.  I also wanted to change the "nozzles" a bit as I always found them a bit too "pointy".


After getting my drawing done, I then cut this new elevon from scrap foam to use as a template so when I cut out the back half of each wing with the back plate, I could trace out the elevon and cut it off so that I still have the fixed horizontal stabilizer attached to the back plate.  


For the shortened vertical stab, I used one of my NAMC Mig-35s for reference as I knew that Stephan had made those plans scale, measured that and then sized it accordingly for the smaller Mig-29 V1.  It might look a little "squat" on the top, but we'll see.


To get the "wedge" where the vertical stabs are angled out to help with yaw stability in turns as well as high speed stability, I made the following change to the slot that accepts the tab from the vertical stabilizer.  I also moved the slot outboard about 2mm, I know that isn't much, but given that the back plate is fairly narrow, if I moved it out much more with the new angle I am using, the back of the vert stab would not stay on the top of the back plate.


For the ailerons, I used the dimensions of the ailerons on the NAMC Mig-35 and scaled down accordingly for the smaller Mig-29 V1M.


This build should come along pretty quickly, as long as flying doesn't get in the way ;).

Cheers,

Scott





2 comments:

  1. Hi Scott, Was the slot intended for a 5.5x5.5 prop? I dont understand why the designer left this little problem in the final drawing.
    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian -

      I don't think so, everything I have ever read about RC Powers designs right from the outset is they were all designed around the 6x4 prop. I think this was one of Scott Lott's first designs and although it is a bit of a pain to have to reinforce that area where the gap is cut out, it is certainly one of the most successful and popular RC Powers planes they have ever put out. I was very happy to see when they made the plans free as I think with the right setup it can be a good trainer plane as long as folks are given good guidance on that part that needs reinforcing and to have low throws at the outset. It is tough and easy to repair which I think are good traits in a starter plane.

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete