Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, January 26, 2015

Update On The Mig-FA Prototype

Please see my prior post about the prototype Mig-FA.

I picked up my foam today from the printing shop.  I had the "painted" plane printed directly onto the foam.  I can't find the receipt, but it was more than I thought it would be.  Depron took ink the  best,  followed by MPF and then Dollar Store Foam.



I'll have to admit, I'm very happy with the "look" of the plane and it's stealth scale appearance.  To improve the profile on the next prototype, I'm going to lower (slam in hot rod lingo) the fuselage so that the top of the hatch is even with the top of the motor mount.  Additionally, I will modify the floor so that the battery will be matched with the wing plate and thrust line.  Then again, if this v2 prototype flies as well as v1, I may not do anything else!

I spent a lot of time on the nose design and added a forward bulkhead shaping piece.  Assembly was easier, faster and much more symmetrical.  Here is a photo showing the fuselage inner pieces:



Here are some dry fit photos:






Stay tuned for final picts and maiden video.

Stephan
stephan@migsrus.com

2 comments:

  1. Stephan, beautiful! The printed color looks great! That's a quick build!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Printing directly onto Depron saves a considerable amount of time. You don't have to glue the paper on and then peel it off. It's also easier to cut. Unfortunately the print shop wants $18 per side. With a "bulk" run they will drop the price.
      I think I've build 10 Migs in Scott and mine quest for the ultimate Mig. So I can build them very quickly. I use epoxy on the inner fuselage and wing plate carbon which speeds up the build.
      Again, welcome to NAMC!
      stephan@migsrus.com

      Delete