Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Dialing in plane and pilot for precise RC flying

Hi everyone -

As I wrote in my last post http://migsrus.blogspot.ca/2015/01/scotts-rc-goals-for-2015.html , I am in the process of changing how I set up my planes, my transmitter and myself to become a more precise and honest flying RC pilot.  I also forgot to add that I want to learn to be more relaxed and skilled when flying inverted, it is kind of my "RC kryptonite" right now, but with the process I am going through, I see that being a much easier thing to learn and hopefully master.

I shot a video at the field yesterday to hopefully better demonstrate some of what I am talking about.


Hopefully the video touches on most of the process that I have been learning with help from Stephan and his inputs from Dave Scott's Airplane & Radio Setup manual http://www.rcflightschool.com/Setup_Manual.asp , but I wanted to touch on a few highlights that stick out in my mind from going through this process.  I have my own copy of this manual on the way in the mail and will share more with the blog once I receive it.

The foundation of this all rests on setting up and flying a more balanced plane, so I would strongly recommend doing this first as it makes the plane much more balanced and predictable in what it is going to do from my experience.  Even with 3D style throws and tons of expo, my planes have been flying immensely better when properly balanced.  In my video and the video Stephan shot, we demonstrate the arc method of determining whether your plane is properly balanced.


There is no "class answer" on exactly what your arc should look like, you have to use some judgement there.  What I would say to look for from my experience is if the nose drops almost right away after you cut the power, the plane is more than likely nose heavy.  If the back end drops and the plane kind of "mushes" (sorry not the most scientific of terms) it's way through the arc, it is probably tail heavy.  

The plane should continue to climb after chopping the power and as speed bleeds off, transition across the top in a smooth, uniform arc before the nose starts to drop.  

Like any dialing in process, it needs to be done in steps, don't move the battery on your Mig29 back by 2" right away just because I did, take it in smaller increments maybe 1/4" at a time until you find the right balance.  You can do a couple arc tests, land, move the battery, try again, etc, so you can get several arc tests done in one battery to help speed up the process.

Once you get the plane balanced, don't be scared if you have to put in some trim to keep it level for certain parts of the flight envelope, sometimes the plane might want to zoom or descend on you at full throttle, so a few clicks of trim to help that out is not a bad thing.  This was one of the hardest ruts for me to break out of.  Now obviously if you are using half your down trim and are dragging around 1/4" of deflection in your elevators, the plane might not be balanced properly or the elevators were not dead center at zero trim, so you might want to recheck the balance point and the control surfaces.

I mention this at the end of the video and will mention it again as I learned this while going along and I think it is very important to the process.  It is important to ensure that your control surfaces are dead center when you have zero trim.  Over time especially with scratch built park jets, I have found as hinges and linkages get broken in, what was once center with zero trim can shift, causing me to have to trim to compensate for that as well.  So I found it very important to be working from a point of dead center control surfaces as I dialed in my plane, my transmitter and myself to become a more precise pilot, otherwise I was battling against something which didn't need to be there.

What I found worked well for me once my plane was properly balanced was to then train myself to use the two finger method of stick control before playing with my servos and expo.  I now have about 50 flights using this method and will never go back to "thumbs only".  In honesty it took me probably about a dozen flights to fully get comfortable with my new hand position and control and it wasn't without a few mistakes... :/  So while learning this method, I kept my plane up a little higher than normal to give me recovery altitude if I messed something up.  

Then the next step was to start dialing down my expo.  As I have mentioned before, I was in the rut of at least 50% expo on everything as a way of smoothing out my plane not being balanced and essentially what were 3D setups in my radio and with my servos and linkages.  So again, baby steps here, dropping no more than 5-10% at a time, get used to that, then drop again until I got dialed down to 20% expo on the pitch and roll and about 35% on the rudder.  I am still working on the rudder setup, but with the planes Stephan and I have modded and fly, we like having large rudders to help compensate for prop wash in high alpha and other rudder dominant moves, so this may be an area of compromise.

Then the last step I did which I show in the video was to move my linkages as close as possible to the servo to give smoothest response.  Even then with 100% throws, this reduced the travel of my control surfaces, but I am actually very happy with how the plane flew.  As I mention in the video, in future builds I will use different control horns on my rudders and elevons to give me more flexibility in being able to adjust my control surface deflections mechanically.  Awhile back, Stephan was kind enough to send me some control horns from Flitetest http://store.flitetest.com/control-horn-20-pieces/  One of their control horns is on the right compared to a Grayson Hobby control horn which I have been using.


I have at least another 1/8" of control horn to work with which should give me lots of flexibility in getting the control surface travel I want.  Plus, they are much cheaper, $5 for 20 compared to $2.99 for 4.  

As soon as I moved my linkages closer to the servo, I noticed how much smoother the surfaces were moving.  When I had the linkage at the end of the servo arm, the action could be very "jerky".  Of course I am using inexpensive nylon gear servos, but helping the servo out in it's job has helped out the precision I feel and see in how my plane flies.

So although that was the last piece of the puzzle, there is still much work to be done to master the whole process and convert my fleet over, but it has been well worth it.

I found that by following the steps that I did it was actually a very smooth transition, much less difficult than I originally expected.

So again, I'm not trying to be an evangelist here or anything, but if you are looking to push your plane and yourself to a whole new level, these techniques might be worth a try.  If nothing else, next time you fly, try the arc test with your plane and see how it responds.  As I mentioned before, if a person was to try nothing else other than to ensure their plane is balanced on neutral CG, they will immediately notice a difference in the balance, predictability and improved handling of their plane, at least that is what I have learned.

Cheers,

Scott


11 comments:

  1. 50 flights with the new pinch style! 50!! Wow! That equates to a good part of a flying season for me.

    Another consideration in control arms is to think of them like a bicycle or motorcycle sprocket. As you move the pushrod linkage closer to the center of the servo you have a shorter moment arm. Given the strength of the servo is a constant, the torque at the control surface is greater. Hunk first gear on a Multi speed bicycle. Small sprocket at the pedals and the largest sprocket at the wheel results in slow speed and high torque.

    You can achieve more control surface throw and keep the torque at the control surface maximized by moving the linkage at the control surface away from the hinge line. Saying that another way, the control rod would be connected to the inner-most hole on the servo and the outer most hole on the control horn at the servo. Then...you can use sub-trim to tell the servo where center of travel is. Use sub trim if you are going crazy trying to get the surface completely in-line with the wing or horizontal stab or vertical fin.

    I love your comments that an arc is an individual thing. My instructor told me, "throttle is altitude". I learned what that meant over time. When I'm on final I like to lower throttle to about 1/8. If the plane settles nicely and remains level I have achieved the balance I like. That way I keep the wings level and settle in to land by adjusting throttle and only touch the elevator to flare when I'm inside ground effect.

    Thank you both for this blog and the insight you are both sharing from careful flying and many many flights! :)

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,
      Once again, great contribution to the blog. My favorite and the best ski instructor I have ever had, can tell you how to do something in multiple ways until he sees the click in your eyes that you got it. Great example about the bicycle cogs to "get" servo resolution.
      Thanks again,
      Stephan

      Delete
    2. Hi Dave -

      Yes, being retired, not having a life and living in a place where I can fly all year round, it is pretty easy to rack up the flights quickly, especially when I have a purpose to learn a new method of flying... :)

      I concur with Stephan, excellent analogy using the bicycle cogs explanation to describe the servos and linkages. I am building a plane now with the Flite Test control horns which right away allow me to have my pushrod at the control horn end 3/16" further from the hinge than my old control horns. This should give me a some extra elevon and rudder surface travel that I can adjust accordingly.

      I never thought about the sub trim, I'll have to dig into my transmitter and figure out how to sort that out as time goes along, thanks for the tip.

      Yes, the arc test does take a little practice to get the hang of doing it properly and then evaluating what I see. But the more I do it, I am able to see the subtle responses the plane gives me telling me how close I am getting to being neutrally balanced. Then although I am not a great inverted flyer, I can always use that as another check to see how I am making out.

      Thank you for your comments, feedback and participation in this blog, without them, I wouldn't be working hard to become a more precise and honest pilot... :) It is amazing how hard I was working trying to fly my planes smooth, scale and precise because I was using essentially a 3D mentality and setup. Now that my mindset and setup are geared towards flying precisely, it has taken my skills and confidence to a whole new level in a very short time.

      Thanks again for your insight and kinds words.

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete
  2. Thank you both for your kind words. My wife and my RC buddies know you both by name!

    Scott, I love that you use plastic gear servos. As I've seen you fly I feel it's how smooth you fly that helps your servos live long. A thought on servos: You might want to check the amperage draw after you have logged MANY flights. Of course you are looking for any servo that is materially different in current draw.

    Also thinking about servos, IF you find that you need faster servos take a look at 200 to 450 size (-200mm to 325mm main rotor length) servos. Heli servos are fast and powerful. This would only be required IF you feel you are waiting for the surface to respond when you're flying. I would also guess only the elevons would need the faster servos. Still, I much prefer your goal of using low cost components so you're not worried about a fortune in the air and you are not over-designing. And you are not following the herd who must have the latest and greatest as defined by slick advertising. Yeah, the heck with fancy servos! :)

    May you have as many safe andings as you have take-offs this weekend!

    Thank you again for the great blog and kind words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave, the RC Timer nylon gear servos I use have certainly been worth it for me, big bang for the buck and now that I am setting them up for more precise handling, they respond even more smoothly. I find the RC Timer metal gear servos are a little quicker in response, not sure of the technical stats on them, just based on feel.

      Stephan and I are of the same mind here, would you like to become an author on this blog? In other words if you e-mail us your details through the migsrus@outlook.com e-mail, we can add you as an author and then you can post to your hearts content. You have a lot of valuable experience and knowledge that needs to be shared not only with Stephan and I, but all our followers, we would sincerely welcome your full participation here as a fellow blog contributor.

      Whatever e-mail address you use to log onto Blogger I guess is the one we need, I'm not sure, we both use gmail addresses, but I'm not sure if other addresses work also.

      Please give it some thought and if you would like to be able to author your own posts, we would be more than happy to have you as a partner here. That way you have much more flexibility to post links, pictures, videos, etc. which would broaden all of our RC minds... :)

      Cheers,

      Scott

      Delete
    2. Dave,
      As per Scott above, we talked about your contributions to our blog.
      Hope you take us up on joining as an author.
      Stephan

      Delete
  3. Wow. Yes please. I'm humbled by the offer Thank you. I'll email my info to the email ID above.

    ReplyDelete
  4. High quality info here! Keep up the great work. I love the feelings being expressed.
    radio controlled model planes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tommy,
      Thanks for your kind words.
      We try hard to stick to our motto:
      Think, Design, Test & Validate
      Check out our new website at
      www.migsrsus.com

      Delete
  5. I really like your
    take on the issue. I now have a clear idea on what this matter is all about

    Rc Planes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, fantastic blog structure......The overall glance of your web site is wonderful, as well as the content material.

    Aeromodelling

    ReplyDelete