Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, May 30, 2014

RC Powers Mig29 V4 dialed in... :)

Hi everyone -


I have 29 flights on my Mig29 V4 now and I think I have it dialed in right where I want it now... :)  I'm actually finding that I really like flying it most of the time with a heavier 2200 Mah battery, it just gives it a bit more smoothness and scale feel when I fly it.  Since Santa didn't bring me a life for Christmas (:( ), I spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos of the Mig 29 and other planes that I fly and I try to emulate those turns and maneuvers with my RC planes.  I find it to be quite challenging, and lots of fun.

With the 2200 battery I am at about 21 oz, so my wing loading is 7.2 oz/sq ft and my thrust to weight ratio is about 1.7:1 which are ideal numbers for me and how I like to fly.  Sifting back through the cobwebs of my favorite weight and setup on my Mig 29 V3, I found that the weight and other numbers were basically the same.  The slight difference being that with a slightly larger wing area on the V4 compared to the V3 (2.9 sq ft compared to 2.7 sq ft), it flies just a little bit smoother and lighter to the touch.  

I also played around a little bit with high alpha today as best as I could in the wind.  I ended up with my spoilerons at about 5/8" deflection for best stability.  Probably due to lack of pilot skills, I never seemed to be able to get my Mig29 V3 to do decent, sustained high alpha, but the V4 does high alpha really well!  Maybe not as good as the F18 V3, but definitely better than the Mig29 V3 in my opinion anyway.

Only 271 more flights to go before reaching the 300 flight plateau I achieved with my Mig29 V3...but I am loving flying this plane so much that I don't think it will take too long... :)

Cheers,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment