Search This Blog

Translate

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

RC Powers F18 V4 build started... :)

Hi everyone -

I have all the foam cut out for my RC Powers F18 V4... :)


I weighed the raw foam parts and discovered they are 60 grams/2.1 oz heavier than the raw parts for the F18 V3.  So I will have to be very careful to build light but strong.  

My build will follow this basic plan -
  • All depron this time, the way the leading edge of the wing/KF2 comes down as a slat, using dollar store foam for the KF like I normally do would be too flexible.  Foam Tac glue will be used as much as possible to keep it light;
  • power system will be the Focal Price 2700 motor with a 6x3 EMP prop, Turnigy Plush 40A ESC and I will probably use a 2200 3S battery if it doesn't cause me any wing loading/wing flex problems as I like that little bit of extra weight on the F18 V3 for stability and high alpha performance;
  • I will originally set up my mixes to test elevons only, the elevons and ailerons and will also play around with flaps/spoilers/flaperons/spoilerons, so six servos in total, all RC Timer 9 gram nylon gear servos;
  • I have modified the rudder surface slightly by making the bottom part of the rudder parallel to the wing plate and extending the hinge line down slightly;
  • I will be running all my servos and pushrods outside the prop slot and prop wash area, so some slight modification will have to be done to the elevons to allow the pushrod to move freely; and
  • leading and trailing edges will be bevelled symmetrically as much as possible.
I will extend the wing spar over plans, but use 3mm carbon tube for lightness instead of 4mm carbon rod that I normally use, hopefully giving the wing enough strength once the KF is added on also.  I will put some 3mm carbon tube in the vert stabs and elevons.  On my V3 I see a lot of flutter in the vert stabs at times in high alpha, so I want to avoid that if I can.

The build looks fairly straight forward, so I will continue to post as I go along discussing any new techniques I might use and any likes and dislikes.

Cheers,

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment