Search This Blog

Translate

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Polar Moment of Inertia (PMI), Center of Mass (COM), Vertical Cg & Wing Loading

This weekend I got caught up on making videos.  With the "ultimate" Mig completed I've turned my intellectual curiosity over to my Mig-FA project.  In designing version 3 (Mig-FAv3) I worked on maximizing PMI, COM, and vertical Cg.  Additionally our newest member Dave is embarking on a lab setup to test wing loading and carbon reinforcement.  I took some on board video to document wing flex.

If you're bored and want to hear a "TED" style lecture check out the videos.  If you are a foamie park jet enthusiast and you are curious about the "ultimate" Mig, there are some "Easter Egg" clues in the video on PMI.

stephan@migsrus.com

YouTube Videos

On EBay I selling some prototype airplanes and left over glue

3 comments:

  1. Stephan, excellent videos! In looking at the ESC and Battery piggy back setup, how warm does the ESC get? If you are getting close to the max amperage of the ESC, it will probably approach 150 degrees F. If that's the case, you do not want the heat from the ESC to transfer to the battery so if you don't already, please consider a thin piece of metal between the two as a heat shield. You can use brass shim stock. Anything thicker than aluminum foil will help a lot.

    The wing loading video was very, very informative. The rapid deflection surprised me. I'm not making disparaging comments about the smoothness of the flight! Thank you for stressing the plane. The rapid "jarring" is creating peak loading far beyond what we'll come up with as the "nominal" max G force in a tight turn of pull-out. We'll need to consider this.

    The videos are excellent and easy to follow! Nice work!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,
    Doohh!! Homer moment. I was so caught up with COM and balancing the plane I didn't think about the heat buildup. Then again it was 40 degrees when I was flying. Definitely not be a good setup for summer. I do have some old copper flashing that I could make a heat shield with.
    I had that NTM 2700 wide open and was yanking and banking trying to see how much she'd take. Setup weighs a lot more than the normal setup.
    Stephan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.

    If you guys do need some shim www.shimstock.co.za.
    Probably a 0.025mm Brass Shim Stock would do.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete