Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, June 27, 2014

100th flight for my RC Powers Mig29 V4 and NAMC patch

Hi everyone -

Again a bit late with this update, but several days ago, I had a bit of a "Mig marathon" at the field... :)  I managed to get 19 flights in total with two of my RCP Mig, 7 with the red, white and blue Mig 29 V3M3e3 in the picture below and 12 with the camo Mig 29 V4.


I reached a bit of a milestone with my Mig29 V4, surpassing 100 flights in total (113 and counting) since it's maiden flight just over four weeks ago.  Other than a couple blemishes on the nose that needed a little foam, glue and a new coat of paint and a crack in the bottom of the battery bay it has help up exceptionally well to the the punishment I have put it through.  Sorry, no video, dark skies+dark trees+camo paint scheme = bad video mojo... :/

Since my last discussion about my setup, I reduced the throws on the elevator portion of my elevons down just a bit as I found I didn't need as much travel to fly the way I like to and sometimes if I got too aggressive I would get a touch of thrust vectoring stalling going on where the elevons would act like speed brakes.  I now have about 2" of travel (4" total) and that allows me plenty of response in the pitch for nice snappy aerobatics, but helps get rid of most of the TV stalling if I get over exuberant with the sticks.

I have had plenty of opportunity to fly it in the wind and I have noticed a bit of "fish tailing" in crosswind situations where if I am a bit slow towards the end of a turn, the wind will push the back end out in a kind of a "drift car" type turn.  I'm not sure if this is caused by the fixed portion of the horizontal stabilizer.  It is not uncontrollable or as exaggerated as it could be sometimes on the Mig V3 in crosswind conditions but it is noticeable.  I found that by just applying a bit more throttle about halfway through the turn like you would accelerate through a turn with your car that it helped get rid of most of this problem and it would track very true despite the wind.

My good friend Stephan and I have been talking about making a few little tweaks and mods to the V4 Mig like we did with the V3 Mig.  Stephan awhile back coined our partnership in modifying our planes as the "North American Mig Consortium" (NAMC) as he lives in the US and I in Canada.  So he made this awesome patch for us to put on our planes that we work on together...looks very cool!


So we have already been bouncing some ideas off each other for fine tuning the Mig V4 to the way we both like to fly and have our planes handle, so that will be my next project and I will post about that here on my blog and video will be up on my You Tube channel.

For those that might also follow me or read my posts on the RC Powers forum, I am taking a bit of a break from that site for awhile, but will continue to update my blog on a more regular basis with projects I am working on.

Cheers,

Scott


No comments:

Post a Comment